Taylor Swift has captivated audiences for over a decade with her catchy pop melodies and vulnerability in her songwriting. But another reason Swifties can’t get enough of the superstar is her iconic outfits that seem to perfectly encapsulate each musical era. From her country cutie days wearing sundresses and cowboy boots to her current grunge glam style, Swift’s fashion evolution mirrors her growth as an artist.
In this blog, we’ll look back at some of Taylor Swift’s most iconic looks throughout her career, from her curly hair and sparkly dresses during the 1989 era to her edgy street style during Reputation. Whether she’s walking the red carpet or casually grabbing coffee, Swift’s outfits never fail to make a statement. So get ready for a fun trip down memory lane revisiting iconic Taylor Swift looks.
Table of Contents
Country Taylor (2006-2008)
In the beginning, Swift’s style reflected her country roots. As she promoted her debut album, Taylor Swift, she often opted for casual day dresses with cowboy boots. Her performing outfits also drew inspiration from country music, with fringed shirts, jeans, and boots on stage. A few standout looks from this nascent era in her career include:
- Sundress and boots at the 2006 CMA Music Festival. This is one of the first major public appearances where Swift established her sweet, down-home style.
- Short sparkly dress at the 2007 CMT Music Awards. This outfit marked a turn toward a glammier look for Swift on the red carpet.
- Blue cocktail dress at the 2008 ACM Awards. Swift began amping up the glam factor with this detailed, jewel-toned dress and curled hair.
Fearless Fashionista (2008-2010)
After finding crossover success, Swift started to take more fashion risks while promoting her 2008 smash album Fearless. Her style became more polished and pop star-worthy during this era. Standouts include:
- Romeo & Juliet-inspired dress at 2009 VMAs. This was one of Swift’s most princess-like red carpet looks ever.
- Sparkly gold fringed dress at the 2009 CMA Awards. This look epitomized Swift’s trend of combining glamour and country style.
- White lace dress at the 2010 Grammys. This was a romantic style statement before Swift’s infamous on-stage interruption.
Speak Now Style (2010-2012)
During the Speak Now album cycle, Swift continued to experiment with her fashion choices. She wasn’t afraid to wear bolder colors, prints, and embellishments during this era. Some top ensembles include:
- Elie Saab mini dress at the 2010 Billboard Music Awards. The purple sequined number showed off Swift’s legs.
- Blue evening gown at the 2011 CMA Awards. The maxi dress with its royal color made Swift look regal.
- White & silver mini dress at the 2012 Brit Awards. This futuristic look demonstrated Swift’s affinity for sparkle.
Red Romance (2012-2014)
To match the theme of her 2012 album Red, Swift embraced more scarlet hues and retro-inspired fashion. As her style matured, she opted for more couture gowns but still knew how to wow in casual wear too. Standouts include:
- The Zuhair Murad red gown from the 2012 MTV VMAs. Probably the most iconic Swift red carpet look ever.
- Striped top & shorts set performing on the Red Tour. This flirty stage outfit highlighted Swift’s long legs.
- Two-piece chainmail dress at the 2013 Golden Globes. Only Swift could rock a metal dress and make it look romantic.
- Plaid top & jeans in the “22” music video. The preppy outfit tapped into a universally relatable look.
1989s Chic (2014-2016)
With the release of her official pop record 1989, Swift also unveiled a more polished, stylish look. She favored sleek dresses, skirt suits, and chic street style during this era. Some top 1989 outfits include:
- Black & white crop top with a full skirt at the 2014 AMAs. This was a sultry take on ladylike fashion.
- Green patterned romper performing at the 1989 World Tour. The playful piece highlighted Swift’s love of combining prints.
- Bleached crop top & sweatpants in the “Shake It Off” music video. Swift made athleisure look cool with this outfit.
- Cutout two-piece set at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards. The bold look announced Swift’s official shedding of her country image.
Reputation Rebel (2017-2018)
After controversy over her public feuds, Swift used fashion to reflect her Reputation era’s darker mood. She gravitated toward leather, snakeskin prints, slicked-back hair, and sexier silhouettes. Some most memorable Reputation outfits include:
- Black chainmail bodysuit in “Look What You Made Me Do” video. The intense look visually matched the scathing song’s tone.
- Fringed chartreuse dress at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards. Only Swift could pull off this bright, daring fashion choice.
- Fishnet bodysuit on stage during the Reputation Tour. This racy ensemble let Swift play up her edgier side.
- Rainbow sequined jumpsuit at the 2019 iHeartRadio Awards. The bright, cheery colors marked Swift’s transition out of the vengeful Reputation phase.
Lover and Folklore Style (2019-present)
In her current phase, Swift has returned to more romantic and whimsical fashion. With her 2019 albums Lover and Folklore, she often wears floral prints, pastels, puff sleeves, and retro silhouettes. Some recent standout looks include:
- The Versace butterfly-covered ensemble at the 2019 Billboard Music Awards. This was an ethereal take on one of Swift’s favorite motifs.
- The Oscar de la Renta floral gown at the 2020 Golden Globes. The detailed dress signaled Swift’s continuation of her cottagecore aesthetic.
- The indie folk look of cardigans and peasant blouses in her 2020 Folklore promo. This style reflected the album’s soft, emotional tone.
- The sequined Stella McCartney romper on her 2021 Evermore album cover. It’s a glamorous rendition of her current romantic style.
Taylor Swift Iconic Looks
Taylor Swift is known for her many talents, including her songwriting, singing, and acting. She’s also one of the most stylish celebrities in the world, and her iconic looks have inspired fans everywhere. Here are 10 of Taylor Swift’s most iconic looks:
1. The 2023 American Music Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a million bucks in a bejeweled gold jumpsuit at the 2023 American Music Awards. The jumpsuit was designed by The Blonds, and it featured a plunging neckline, a backless design, and a flared leg. She paired the jumpsuit with strappy, open-toe gold sandals and a variety of shimmering bracelets and rings.
2. The 2022 MTV Europe Music Awards
Sticking to the bejeweled theme, Taylor slipped into a David Koma black dress at the 2022 MTV Europe Music Awards. The dress featured a plunging neckline, a thigh-high slit, and a dramatic train. She paired the dress with black strappy sandals and a variety of silver jewelry.
3. The 2021 Grammy Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a spring princess in a floral mini dress by Oscar de la Renta at the 2021 Grammy Awards. The dress featured a plunging neckline, a tiered skirt, and a floral print. She paired the dress with nude strappy sandals and a variety of delicate gold jewelry.
4. The 2020 BRIT Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a modern-day Audrey Hepburn in a black Givenchy jumpsuit at the 2020 BRIT Awards. The jumpsuit featured a one-shoulder design, a wide-leg pant, and a dramatic bow at the waist. She paired the jumpsuit with black strappy sandals and a variety of delicate silver jewelry.
5. The 2019 Billboard Music Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a goddess in a metallic silver mini dress by Versace at the 2019 Billboard Music Awards. The dress featured a plunging neckline, a thigh-high slit, and a dramatic train. She paired the dress with silver strappy sandals and a variety of statement jewelry.
6. The 2018 American Music Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a rock star in a black feathered mini dress by Balmain at the 2018 American Music Awards. The dress featured a plunging neckline, a thigh-high slit, and dramatic feathered sleeves. She paired the dress with black strappy sandals and a variety of edgy jewelry.
7. The 2017 Grammy Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a princess in a white Tom Ford gown at the 2017 Grammy Awards. The gown featured a plunging neckline, a high-low skirt, and a dramatic train. She paired the gown with silver strappy sandals and a variety of delicate jewelry.
8. The 2016 MTV Video Music Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a badass in a black snake-print bodysuit by Balmain at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards. The bodysuit featured a plunging neckline, a thigh-high slit, and cut-out detailing. She paired the bodysuit with black strappy sandals and a variety of edgy jewelry.
9. The 2015 American Music Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a goddess in a gold sequined gown by Julien Macdonald at the 2015 American Music Awards. The gown featured a plunging neckline, a high-low skirt, and a dramatic train. She paired the gown with gold strappy sandals and a variety of statement jewelry.
10. The 2014 Grammy Awards
Taylor Swift looked like a classic beauty in a red Elie Saab gown at the 2014 Grammy Awards. The gown featured a strapless neckline, a mermaid skirt, and a dramatic train. She paired the gown with silver strappy sandals and a variety of delicate jewelry.
These are just a few of Taylor Swift’s many iconic looks. She’s a true fashion chameleon, and she always manages to look her best.
Over her prolific career, Taylor Swift has dazzled us with her musical talent and captivated us with her iconic sense of style. From her country roots to her glamorous red carpet looks, Swift’s outfits showcase her versatility and flair for fashion. Much like the ever-adapting style of Sharon Stone, as she continues to evolve her sound and image, we eagerly anticipate what iconic styles Swift will don next, cementing her status as a timeless pop culture icon. Whether decked out in preppy collars and skirts in her early career or rocking edgy crop tops in her reputation era, her influential looks cement Swift as a timeless pop culture icon.
As her star continues to rise, one thing is clear – Taylor Swift’s iconic outfits will remain unforgettable. What glamorous Taylor Swift 1989 era ensemble will define the next chapter of her style legacy? One thing is for sure, she will continue inspiring trends and defining eras through her creative expression and bold sartorial choices.
- What was Taylor Swift’s most iconic outfit?
Many fans and fashion experts agree that the scarlet Zuhair Murad gown Swift wore to the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards is her most iconic look ever. It cemented her status as a glamorous pop star.
- What stylist helps create Swift’s looks?
Swift has worked with her trusted stylist Joseph Cassell since 2008. He helps pull together Swift’s red carpet and stage ensemble ideas.
- How would you describe Taylor Swift’s style?
Swift’s style can best be described as romantic and whimsical. She often wears fairytale-esque dresses but also mixes in edgy, modern elements to keep her looks young and current.
- What are some of Swift’s style signatures?
Some Swift style trademarks include red lipstick, winged liner cat eyes, strappy heels, sparkly dresses, preppy skirts and shirts, whimsical prints, and retro curls.
- Has Swift ever repeated outfits?
Yes! Despite having access to endless designer clothes, Swift sometimes re-wears pieces she loves. For example, she wore a black Sigerson Morrison boot multiple times during her 1989 era. Fans praise her habit of recycling outfits.