Rosemary is an aromatic plant highly appreciated in the gastronomic field, as its unmistakable aroma and flavor add body and personality to many dishes. But, did you know that this plant is also highly valued in the world of beauty and personal care? Rosemary has been used as the main ingredient in countless beauty and health treatments for centuries. Its high content of vitamins A, B2, and C, as well as iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium, makes rosemary possess great antiseptic, healing, fortifying, and softening qualities.
Currently, rosemary water is one of the most popular natural products that exist, as its nutrients provide incredible benefits to the skin but, above all, to the hair. If you still don’t know the properties of rosemary for hair and how you can take advantage of them, don’t miss the following article. This is everything you should know about rosemary water for hair, its benefits, and how to use it .
Table of Contents
What is rosemary used for in hair?
The benefits of rosemary for hair are multiple, something that is mainly due to its high content of essential, antioxidant, and revitalizing nutrients. We are going to tell you about some of the benefits of rosemary water on your hair, benefits that will help you show off healthier and more beautiful hair:
- Prevents Gray Hair: Rosemary for gray hair is one of the best natural remedies out there. This is because its stimulating function favors the circulation of nutrients through the hair follicles, thus helping to reverse and prevent the first gray hairs.
- Stops hair loss: another of rosemary’s properties for hair is that it is able to fortify fragile hair and help it grow thicker and therefore healthier.
- Stimulates the scalp: rosemary is an effective hair stimulant that, in addition to improving hair texture, adds shine, softness, and volume to dull and lifeless hair.
- Regulates excess sebum: Rosemary also acts as a regulator of excess sebum on the scalp, thus helping to prevent oily hair and a dry and irritated scalp.
- It is a natural dye: due to its high pigment content, rosemary water is ideal as a natural dye for brown and dark hair, since it completely covers gray and white hair.
If you want more information about rosemary oil for hair or rosemary water for hair, in this other post about the benefits of rosemary for hair you will find everything you are looking for.
How to use rosemary water for hair
If you want to benefit from the wonderful properties of rosemary water for hair, you should know that it can be easily prepared at home. Also, if you are wondering if rosemary oil for hair has the same benefits as water, from this article we confirm that it is since both ingredients can help you achieve more hydrated and beautiful hair.
If rosemary water for hair is more suitable for this type of treatment, it is because it is an easier substance to apply than oil, however, you can keep the product that suits you best. In any case, perseverance is key, because only by being routine can you achieve optimal results in a few weeks.
Rosemary water for gray hair
Rosmarinic acid makes rosemary water a perfectly natural method to cover and prevent gray hair. And it is that Rosemary has great coloring power that makes it the ideal natural dye to make gray or white hair disappear. You can buy coloring shampoos or rosemary-based vegetable dyes in specialized stores, however, you can follow this recipe to make rosemary water for gray hair. You will only need:
- 300 g of fresh rosemary (you can buy it at any herbalist)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 500 ml of water
Preparation and use
- Bring the water to a boil and, when it reaches a boil, add the rosemary.
- Lower the heat and let the rosemary boil for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the tablespoon of vinegar, stirring until dissolved.
- Let the rosemary water cool and strain or filter it to separate the leaves from the coloring lotion.
- Pour the rosemary water lotion into a container that is comfortable for you to apply (a glass bottle, a nozzle applicator, a spray bottle, etc.)
- With damp hair, apply the mixture from the roots to the points, as if it were a regular dye. Massage with circular movements so that the product penetrates properly.
- Leave to act for half an hour and rinse with lukewarm water.
How to prevent gray hair with rosemary water
The stimulating and regenerative power of rosemary water makes it an ideal product to prevent gray hair. So, if you don’t have gray hair but you want to combat its appearance from the beginning so that your hair looks more rejuvenated and healthy, you only have to get a cup of fresh rosemary and a cup and a half of water:
- Boil the water and add the cup of fresh rosemary.
- Turn off the heat and let stand until cool.
- Strain the lotion and pour it into a jar or bottle with an applicator.
- Apply it to your dry hair with circular movements until it fully penetrates and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water and dry and style as usual.
Rosemary water for hair loss
The stress of daily life, as well as seasonal changes or certain periods of anxiety and nervousness, can cause hair loss. Applying rosemary water to your scalp will help stop hair loss in these critical times. To do this, you only need to prepare a rosemary infusion with the same ingredients and following the same procedure that we have explained to prevent gray hair.
- You should apply rosemary water for hair loss every time you wash your hair, after using and rinsing your usual shampoo.
- Spray all your hair with the rosemary water anti-loss lotion and massage your scalp for two minutes.
- Brush your hair gently and let it air dry. It is better that you avoid the use of hair dryers.
- For the treatment to be effective, you must repeat this process for two weeks.
A diet rich in vitamins and minerals is very important for hair to grow. Likewise, applying localized remedies to the scalp will help you stimulate blood circulation in the area and promote the growth of a greater number of hair strands. In this case, if you wonder what rosemary is for in your hair, you should know that it can also help you grow your hair. We explain how to make your own shampoo with rosemary water for hair growth:
- To do this, you only need to prepare an infusion of rosemary water, as we have explained in this article, and then follow these steps:
- Add 250 ml of rosemary water to 250 ml of neutral shampoo (preferably organic or natural).
- Mix well and use as your regular shampoo.
- If you wish, you can add a tablespoon of lavender oil to your shampoo with rosemary water. Lavender will add extra softness and a very pleasant perfume to your hair, in addition to reinforcing the revitalizing qualities of rosemary itself.