Nail polish colors can make a huge difference in an outfit. The right shade can pull together an entire look or make a bold fashion statement. With so many options to choose from, what are the most attractive and fashionable nail polish color to wear? Here’s a look at some of the top shades and how to rock them:
Red nail polish is a classic. There’s a reason it’s stood the test of time as a fashionable option. Reds offer a pop of color and vibrancy to any look. There are many shades of red to choose from:
A true, bluish-red is universally flattering. It brightens up any skin tone and adds flair to an outfit. Best white nail polish can be a great companion to these true reds, offering a classic and versatile contrast. True reds like Essie’s Forever Yummy or OPI’s Big Apple Red work for any occasion. Pair them with neutrals and pastels for a more understated look or with bold prints and black for high-impact glam.
Deeper brick reds flatter olive and darker complexions. Go for deeper tones like Revlon’s Vixen or Butter London’s Come to Bed Red for vampy, night-out style. Tone it down with nudes and pinks for daytime.
For a livelier spin, opt for a coral-red. These have a reddish-orange undertone that feels cheerful and summery. Essie’s Clam Bake is a perfect coral red for medium to darker skin tones. Light peaches like OPI’s Cajun Shrimp also have the same brightening effect.
Pretty in pink! Pink nail polish is ultra-feminine and flattering. There’s a perfect pink out there for everyone. Here are some of the most attractive pink shades:
Soft baby pinks are sweet and innocent. Essie’s Ballet Slippers is a worldwide favorite, suiting all skin tones. For a retro touch, pinks with a hint of coral like OPI’s Bubble Bath have a creamy 1950’s vibe.
Muted dusty rose pinks are sophisticated and elegant. They’re perfect for the office or important events. Go for OPI’s Don’t Bossa Nova Me Around or Essie’s Buy Me a Cameo. Pair them with gray, navy or black outfits.
Make a bold statement with vibrant hot pink. Nothing says fun and fearless like Essie’s Resort Fling or Sally Hansen’s Pink Punk. Hot pink pops against bronze, gold or olive skin. Add some edge with dark clothing and accessories.
Nude nails are anything but boring! The right nude shade can make fingers look long and slender. Nudes work for any occasion since they act as a neutral canvas you can dress up or down.
Nudes with a pink undertone complement fair to medium skin beautifully. Opt for one that matches your skin’s undertones. Essie’s Sand Tropez is a perfect pink nude for warmer skins, while their Mademoiselle is better for cooler complexions.
Peach nudes with a coral base flatter olive to dark complexions. Try Revlon’s Sandy Nude or OPI’s Funny Bunny for a pretty peach shade. Metallic peach nudes like Essie’s Penny Talk offer even more shimmer.
Deeper mocha nudes look striking on darker skin. Go for opaque shades like OPI’s Bubble Bath or butter LONDON’s Teddy Girl. Sheer versions like Essie’s Topless & Barefoot work well too.
Glitzy metallics instantly jazz up any manicure. Gold, silver, bronze and more—metallics add flash and glam to nails.
Molten gold polish is ultra-luxe and captivating. Shimmering gold like OPI’s Rose Before Bros glides on liquid-smooth. Multidimensional gold/green shades like Essie’s Mint Candy Apple have an intriguing shift in color.
Sleek silver polish in glossy or textured finishes looks modern and edgy. Try Revlon’s Sterling Silver or Sally Hansen’s Shooting Star. Pair it with blacks, blues and grays for standout style.
Warm up your look with burnished bronze shades. Coppery browns like Essie’s Penny Talk or Orly’s Ancient Jules lend a sultry, earthy vibe. Bronze works perfectly for autumnal outfits.
Blue nail polish is so versatile, with light pastels for understated chic to bold brights perfect for summer. Pick a shade that complements your skin tone and outfit choice.
Soft baby blues are sweet as candy. Sheer washes of color like Essie’s Bikini So Teeny are innocent and charming. Deeper opaque baby blues like OPI’s Can’t Find My Checkbook feel retro and fun.
Rich, jewel-tone sapphire blues are statement-making. Try OPI’s Russian Navy or Essie’s Butler Please for deep, dramatic color. Sapphire blue pops against warm metallics and neutrals.
Vibrant royal blues are eye-catching. They’re perfect for making nails a focal point. Go for OPI’s Yoga-ta Get This Blue or Essie’s Style Cartel. Pair royal blues with red and white for a patriotic touch.
Green polish may seem tricky, but the right shade can be incredibly flattering. Go for lighter, cooler greens to complement warm skin and deeper, warmer greens for cooler complexions.
Earthy sage greens flatter all skin tones. Essie’s Mint Candy Apple has chartreuse undertones, while OPI’s What Wizardry is This? is a blue-leaning sage. Both create an unexpected pop of color.
Lush emerald greens sparkle against warm tan and olive skin. Deep jewel tones like Essie’s Stylenomics or OPI’s An Affair in Red Square draw the eye to nails.
Rich forest greens with yellow undertones make hazel and brown eyes pop. Try Essie’s Mojito Madness or Sally Hansen’s Ivy League for sexy, mysterious nails.
Other Colors to Consider
Beyond the basics, don’t be afraid to experiment with unique nail polish colors. Here are some unexpected shades you can rock:
- Black – Opaque black is edgy and glamorous. OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark is a jet black classic.
- White – Crisp, clean white is so fresh. Essie’s Marshmallow is the perfect white polish.
- Neon – Electric neons grab attention. Try Essie’s Vivid Violet or OPI’s You’re Such a Budapest.
- Pastels – Soft lilac, mint, peach and more for an ethereal finish. Go for Essie’s colors.
- Gray – Light grays like Essie’s Sand Tropez are surprisingly chic. Dark gunmetal grays like OPI’s My Car Has Navy-gation are sophisticated.
How to Choose the Most Attractive Shade
With so many gorgeous colors to pick from, it can be tough to narrow down your options. Here are some tips on selecting the most attractive and flattering nail polish for your needs:
Consider your skin tone – Match cool shades with cool undertones and warm shades for warm undertones. Peaches, corals and bronzes pair perfectly with medium to darker skin. Soft pinks and mauves complement fair skin.
Pick a color family – If you’re overwhelmed, stick to one color family you love, like reds, nudes or metallics. Having a go-to color palette makes choosing easy.
Be occasion-appropriate – Save the bold neon’s for weekends and stick to versatile nudes and pinks for the office. Dark vampy shades work for nights out, while pastels are perfect for daytime.
Compliment your outfit – Look for a shade that complements your clothing colors. Blue polish always pops against warm tones like cream or gold. Nudes blend seamlessly with prints and textures.
Consider undertones – Match the polish undertones to your skin’s undertones for a natural, flattering look. For example, coral reds with a blue base work for cooler skin tones.
Go with current trends – Stay on top of trends by checking out runway and red carpet looks. Right now, metallics, dims and sage greens are huge.
Try different finishes – Matte, glossy, pearly, textured—play around with different polish finishes for added dimension.
Don’t forget your hands – Make sure to pick a shade that complements your hands too. Warm tones and sheers tend to be most natural and flattering.
Nail Shape and Care
Choosing the polish color is only half the battle! For truly gorgeous, eye-catching nails, it’s crucial to pick the right nail shape for your hands. Perfectly prepped and shaped nails make any polish shade look its best. Here are some key tips:
Pick The Right Nail Shape
Popular nail shapes include:
- Round – The ends are rounded for an even look. This works on most nail beds.
- Squoval – A oval/square hybrid that flatters wider nail beds. The straight edges give a put-together vibe.
- Almond – An elegant oval shape that comes to a soft point. It’s lengthening on wider nail beds.
- Coffin – Straight sides with a blunted tip. Very elongating but can snag easily.
- Square – Straight across ends for a retro feel. Flatters narrower nail beds.
Consider your nail bed width, finger length, hand size and lifestyle. Almond and coffin shapes suit wider beds, while square and squoval work for narrow beds. Rounded is truly universal.
Prep Your Nails
Always start with clean, dry nails free of oil and debris. Gently push back and trim your cuticles, then lightly buff your nails to smooth away ridges. Use a dehydrator and pH-balancing primer before polish application.
Pick The Right Tools
Invest in quality nail files, buffers, cuticle trimmers, top and base coats. A sheer foundation coat helps polish grip better and last longer. Quick-dry top coats prevent chips and smudges. Use cuticle oil daily to condition your nails and stimulate growth.
Take Good Care
- Moisturize hands and nails daily
- Wear gloves for wet work
- Avoid picking and peeling
- Use a strengthening treatment weekly
- Take biotin supplements for growth
- Alternate polish with breaks in between
Proper care leads to strong, healthy nails that can show off any gorgeous polish hue flawlessly!
Rocking Your Chosen Shade
Once you’ve picked the perfect polish, it’s time to rock your chosen shade! Here are some style tips:
Pair it With Outfits
- Match cool shades with silvers, grays, blues
- Warm tones complement tans, neutrals, pastels
- Accent colors in your outfit with nails
- Red nails with red lipstick is timeless
- Nudes let bold jewelry take center stage
Change Up Your Finish
- Glossy polish is great for the office
- Satin is sophisticated for formal events
- Matte offers an edgy, modern vibe
- Metallics add glam and sparkle
- Sheers are sweet and innocent
Use Nails As An Accessory
- Make a color splash against neutrals
- Highlight one accent nail in a bright hue
- Do ombre fading from dark to light
- Trying color blocking with different shades
- Add polish strips, glitter or nail art
Take Care Of Your Manicure
- Always use base and top coat
- Carry quick-dry drops for on-the-go touch-ups
- Refresh polish every 3-5 days
- Give nails a break between polish with treatments
- Moisturize like crazy to prevent chips and peels
With the right polish colors and care, your manicure will look fab from the very first swipe until the last tip wears off. So don’t be afraid to have fun with shades and switch it up often!
What nail polish colors look good on pale skin?
- Soft pinks, mauves and corals
- Lavender, mint and baby blue pastels
- Rose gold and silvery metallics
- Sheer peaches and nudes
What colors look best on tan skin?
- Coral, brick red and terra-cotta
- Peach, bronze and copper metallics
- Forest green and emerald
- Navy, royal purple and hot pink
Which colors suit dark skin tones best?
- True reds and deep berries
- Espresso brown, chocolate and black
- Metallic gold, bronze and gunmetal
- Electric blues and bright purple
What are the most professional nail polish colors?
- Sheer and neutral pinks
- French manicure with beige tips
- Nude peaches and mochas
- Clear gloss for natural nails
- Crimson red (if your workplace allows it)
Which polish colors make nails look longer?
- Sheer and light colors like soft pink
- Nudes that match your skin tone
- White nail tips with French manicure
- Glossy and high-shine finishes
What polish colors make nails look wider or fuller?
- Dark vampy tones like crimson and chocolate
- Bright, eye-catching neon colors
- Heavy shimmers and dense glitter polishes
- Horizontal stripes or color blocking
The perfect polish shade can take an outfit, look, and manicure to the next level. Reds, pinks, nudes, metallics and blues are gorgeous go-to’s that suit any occasion. Consider your skin tone, style and nail shape to pick the most attractive option. Yellow nail polish – the color on the nails you like, but to truly make it pop, prep nails properly and care for your manicure so your color stays flawless. Change up your finish, do accent nails or add polish strips to switch up your look with so many beautiful colors, making it easy to show off gorgeous, head-turning nails anywhere you go!